Frequently Asked Questions

We are always happy to answer questions.

Question: How do you fund your efforts?
Answer: We rely on generous monetary donations from individuals, schools, clubs, churches, companies and grants.  Community members also donate non-perishable food, new toys and books.  We receive no funding from the Federal Government or the United Way.

Question: I want to help more directly. What’s the best way to do that?
Answer: An unrestricted as-needed monetary donation of any amount is greatly appreciated since it also allows us to devote the donation toward our most pressing need.  We are happy to talk with you about how you can help and what our greatest needs currently are.  We also offer an opportunity to sponsor seniors and children in our Senior Citizen Project and Children’s Project. The sponsorship commitment is for one year only and it is your decision at the end of the one year period to determine if you want to recommit for another year.

Question: I want to teach my children to help those in need. How can I do that?
Answer: If your children are young, you could encourage them to help you collect non-perishable food, paper products, new toys, books, or other items for our programs. With older children, we have had many young people organize neighborhood collection drives for school supplies, arts and crafts items, toys, and food.  Parents can help their children create a personal fundraiser to benefit any of our programs, such as a birthday fundraiser, raising funds for our Children’s Project in lieu of birthday gifts.  Children ages 10 and up can volunteer to sort food at our center with parental supervision. In the month of December, volunteers must be 14 years or older..

Question: Do you have Saturday volunteer hours?
Answer: Once a month on Saturday, Senior Citizen Project volunteers load and deliver food and other items for our seniors. Otherwise, our volunteers are needed during the weekdays when we are open from 8:30 a.m. until 4:30 p.m. We have summer weekend volunteer opportunities at various community events sponsored by our supporters, such as the Naperville Exchange Club’s Ribfest event and the Naperville Jaycees Last Fling event.  During December we have multiple Saturday events when volunteer opportunities are available.

Question: I need help myself. What should I do?
Answer: If you reside in DuPage County, contact the DuPage County Community Services at 800-942-9412 or view resources online at www.dupagecris.org.  If you reside in Kane County, call 630-232-3400 or view online resources at kanecountyguide.org.



Facebook Blogger Instagram LinkedIn